Saturday, April 29, 2017

ASTHMA, ALLERGY, COPD and ILD


ASTHMA,  ALLERGY,  COPD and ILD

Dr. T. Rama Prasad                                                     May 7, 2019

The word ASTHMA conjures up the image of a steam engine – huffing and puffing, much like an asthmatic patient.   While the steam engine went down into the sunset,  asthma is climbing up like a rising sun in tandem with bad lifestyle and environmental degradation.

Globally,  ‘Chronic Respiratory Diseases’ are among the leading causes of morbidity and mortality, with ‘Asthma’ (bronchial asthma), 'Allergy' and ‘Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) being the most common.   Asthma has a case burden of about 358 million across the world.  Paradoxically,  allergy and asthma are found to be more in the West whose environment is cleaner.  Data on the burden of asthma in India has been plagued by inconsistent recording as is the case with other diseases.  According to an estimate, the burden of asthma cases in India is about 20 million,  with a whopping 487 billion rupees (INR) being spent on treatment per year.

CONFUSING  COUSINS     Asthma, allergy, COPD, chronic bronchitis, occupational lung diseases, interstitial lung diseases, etc. are related and overlapping disease entities which cause a lot of confusion in the minds of the people and doctors as well due to some common symptoms and clinical signs.   The definitions are varied and the diagnostic tools give different verdicts in many cases.  Generally, environmental pollution is a common factor in the causation while specific factors like heredity, individual constitution and climate may also play a role.   

            The‘World Asthma Day’is conducted on the first Tuesday of May to promote awareness and prevention of asthma.  



ILLUSIVE  CURE     

Patients often ask me as to when they would be free from asthma.  I refrain from saying that they would when the country is free of pollution and the people live in good lifestyle … lest they would be depressed !    Asthma is arguably the most miserable morbidity outdoing other lung diseases – catching up, in some cases, during childhood and following up to the graveyard. 

            Very extensive and voluminous research was done, and a plethora of medicines are available today,  but with  my experience of half-a-century in this field,  I may say that we didn’t make much headway to find a permanent solution.  Many new and better medicines are introduced but they also have to be taken for indefinite periods.  Mostly, once the patients stop medication, the symptoms come back.     The same is the case with allergy.  Some go for extensive and expensive tests to know the allergen or allergens to which they are specifically allergic to, and to get 'desensitisation' therapy.  This also may not mostly work out in practice.  Hence the patients switch from one doctor to another hoping for a cure.  The patients are tired of taking more or less the same medicines over indefinite periods of time.   And the doctors too do not find it satisfying to prescribe more or less the same medicines.   However, the faces of pharmaceutical industry may be lit up with impish glee as a whopping amount of 487 billion rupees is being spent by asthmatics in India !   No doubt, the industry is spending colossal amounts on developing new drugs to tackle asthma and allergy,  and has already put various new products in the market to mitigate the suffering.  Programmed by the manufacturers,  the products look scientifically authentic and very promising  in the glitter of the glitzy conference halls.

            Like in any other ailment where there is no definite cure,  a plethora of medicines are inducted into the market,  and tall claims are made,  also by alternative native systems of medicine.

PREVENTIVE  MEDICINE

           It is important that ‘preventive’ medicines are to be taken even when there are no symptoms so that the disease would not progress and become permanent.   In this context, ‘inhaler’ medicines are very valuable. But in my experience of over 50 years, I found that people are very reluctant and against the use of inhalers due to the misconception that they are “very powerful” and that once they start using them they have to be used forever.  And many educated ones fear about the ‘steroids’ in them.   In fact, inhalers have less side-effects than tablets as they contain very small quantities of drugs and as the drugs in them do not get into the blood and reach other organs in the body in any significant quantity.  As they go directly to the lungs where they are required to act, the dose is small and they don’t affect other organs much.   As long back as 2001,  I wrote the following in THE NEW INDIAN EXPRESS:



            And sadly,  most of the patients in India don’t know how to use inhalers properly.   It means that they are not only wasting medicines but allowing the disease to progress to irreversible dimensions.   In these days of frenetic pace of life,  many do not seem to have the time to train the patients patiently to use inhalers properly.

                   A recent (2019) publication in the 'British Medical Journal (BMJ)' noted that 'Metered Dose Inhalers (MDI)' contain the propellent gas 'Hydrofluoroalkane (HFA)' which is a potent 'Greenhouse gas',  and that this gas is not present in the alternative inhaler called 'Dry Powder Inhaler (DPI)'.  This raised the question as to whether DPI is to be preferred.  Excessive 'Greenhouse gases' lead to 'Global warming' and its deleterious effects on environment. But the amount released by inhalers is insignificant (0.1%).  Unhesitatingly, one may use whatever inhaler is prescribed by the doctor.

CAUSATIVE  FACTORS

While in many cases there is an overlap of asthma and COPD, there are ‘pure’ cases of COPD where it is a progressive disease despite treatment. Many of them end up in ‘chronic respiratory failure’ necessitating indefinite oxygen supply through ‘home oxygen machines’.  The causes for COPD are mostly chronic smoking and air pollution which are also associated with lung cancer. 




PREVENTION

The morbidity, mortality and the economic burden of asthma and COPD can be decreased by providing access to preventive care, early treatment and use of primary health care instead of running to emergency departments at a late stage.   More focus is to be put on adherence to treatment by the patient, and adherence to rational guidelines of treatment by doctors (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25948888?dopt=Abstract).   Generic barriers to better health such as environmental pollution, smoking, recklessness to health issues, poor infrastructure, poor nutrition, illiteracy, unawareness to public health, etc. are to be addressed.

INTERSTITIAL  LUNG  DISEASE  (ILD)

 

Interstitial lung disease (ILD) is an umbrella term used for a large group of diseases that cause scarring (fibrosis) of the lungs. The scarring causes stiffness in the lungs which makes it difficult to breathe and get oxygen to the bloodstream. Lung damage from ILDs is often irreversible and gets worse over time.  Many people with ILD have trouble in breathing and a cough that does not go away. In more severe cases, complications can be life-threatening and include high blood pressure in the lungs, right heart failure, and respiratory failure (the lungs do not deliver enough oxygen to the body).  The condition, which is part of a group of disorders known collectively as interstitial lung disease, causes inflammation and scarring of the lung tissue.  The average survival for people with this type is currently 3 to 5 years . It can be longer with certain medications and depending on its course. People with other types of interstitial lung disease, like sarcoidosis, can live much longer.

 

 Even so, in some cases, the causes are never found. Disorders without a known cause are grouped together under the label of idiopathic interstitial pneumonias, the most common and deadly of which is idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).  While there are not formal categories of IPF, doctors and patients sometimes think of IPF in four different stages depending on symptoms and treatment needs. IPF can be a scary diagnosis, but it's not a death sentence. IPF progresses differently for everyone. Some live with the disease for many years.


Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD) - American Lung Association

https://www.lung.org › lung-health-diseases › interstitial-l...

https://www.lung.org › lung-health-diseases › interstitial-l...

New drug significantly slows progression of fatal lung disease

https://www.uhs.nhs.uk › Newsandpublications › Latestnews

https://www.uhs.nhs.uk › Newsandpublications › Latestnews

Interstitial Lung Disease: Symptoms, Causes, Tests

https://my.clevelandclinic.org › health › diseases › 178...

https://my.clevelandclinic.org › health › diseases › 178...

Interstitial lung disease - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

https://www.mayoclinic.org › syc-20353108

https://www.mayoclinic.org › syc-20353108

Interstitial Lung Disease: Life Expectancy, Treatment, and Types

https://www.healthline.com › health › interstitial-lung-dise...

https://www.healthline.com › health › interstitial-lung-dise...

 


Dr. T. Rama Prasad, 
'PAY WHAT YOU CAN’ Clinic, Perundurai, Erode Dt., TN, India.
Former Medical Superintendent (Special), RTS & IRT Perundurai Medical College and Research Centre, Perundurai.
*  Website: www.rama-scribbles.com  *  Blog: https://drtramaprasad.blogspot.com  *  Twitter: @DrRamaprasadt       *..Facebook: T Rama Prasad  * E-mail: drtramaprasad@gmail.com  * WhatsApp: +91 98427 20393.



            

11 comments:

  1. Nice information sir. Would you say the role of Pranayama in recovering of Asthma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After having a persistent cough for over a year, I was diagnosed with COPD
      in March 2015. In 2016 my COPD got worse to the point where not only do I
      have trouble sleeping at night, I also struggle to get air into my lungs. I
      read in a health forum of a herbal centre (native health clinic) who have successful treatment to COPD/Emphysema, i immediately
      contacted the herbal centre via their website and purchased the COPD herbal
      remedy, I used the remedy for 2 weeks, all my symptoms were reversed, i did
      another test for confirmation, i was declared COPD free. email (
      nativehealthclinic@gmail.com) or WhatsApp/Call him on +2348140073965

      Delete
  2. I am not sure of the cause of COPD emphysema in my case. I smoked pack a day for 12 or 13 years, but quit 40 years ago. I have been an outdoor person all my adult life. Coughing started last summer producing thick mucus, greenish tint to clear. I tried prednisone and antibiotics, but no change. X-rays are negative, heart lungs and blood and serum chemistries all are normal. I have lung calcification from childhood bout with histoplasmosis. I am 75 years old and retired.My current doctor directed me to totalcureherbsfoundation .c om which I purchase the COPD herbal remedies from them ,they are located in Johannesburg, the herbal treatment has effectively reduce all my symptoms totally, am waiting to complete the 15 weeks usage because they guaranteed me total cure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 59 years old and female. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting to underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 59 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of total cure herbal foundation my husband bought, totalcureherbsfoundation .c om has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and cure you totally with their natural organic herbs,it class products at affordable prices. Purchase these medicines and get the generic medicines delivered in USA, UK & Australia,I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really a aware for patients.and your work is amazing and a continue your work sir it will help us

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm 59 years old and female. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting to underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 59 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of  Dr Akhigbe   total cure herbal medicine. my husband saw his testimony on the internet he used his powerful medicine to cured differents diseases. we contacted his email   [drrealakhigbe@gmail.com}   He has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and others diseases, will cure you totally and permanently with his natural organic herbs,We received the medicine through courier delivery service. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life.
    Dr Akhighe also cured diseases like, HERPES, DIABETES, HIV/AIDS, COPD, CANCER,ASTHMA,STROKE,LUPUS,JOINT PAIN,CHRONIC DISEASES,PARKINSON DISEASES,TUBERCULOSIS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,BREAST INFECTION,WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM, ERYSIPELAS,STAPHYLOCOCCUS,HERPATITIS A/B, QUICK EJACULATION,GONORRHEA,SYPHILIS,WAST/BACK PAIN,PELVIC INFLAMATORY, DICK ENLARGEMENT,HEART DISEASES,TERMINAL ILLNESS,SHIFT IN FUCUS,ATAXIA,COMMON COLD,CROHN'S DISEASES,ALCOHOL SPECTRUM DISORDER,GRAVES DISEASE,HEARING LOSS, INTERSTITIA CYSTITIS,LEUKEMIA,MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,OBESITY,RABIS,SCOLIOSIS,INFLUENZA, POLIO,JACOB,ETC. If you are out there looking for your cure please  contact  dr Akhigbe  by his email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com     or contact his whatsapp number   +2349010754824
    God bless you Dr Akhigbe for your good hand work on my life

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had COPD for over three years, I was beyond scared! but sometimes I think is God prodigy that I was able to treat my COPD but multivitamincare .org herbal remedies has a big impact on my recovery. My lung function test indicated 44% capacity. After having had flu as well, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my family eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 59 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of total cure herbal foundation my husband bought, Multivitamin Herbal Care has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair your lungs and cure you totally with their natural organic herbs. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life,it advisable to always try natural herbs at first because www .multivitamincare .org neutralize my COPD which surprise everyone at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Useful information. Your care for patients and dedication are really awesome sir. Please keep continue your services for us.

    ReplyDelete