Saturday, April 29, 2017

MY ART






    MY  ART,   if it can be called art !
                                                       Dr. T. Rama Prasad

I just dab a little paint here and there,  showcase an artefact, or do something quirky  ...  and an 'accidental art' emerges !!!



I made these boats with pieces of garlic and thread ... how is it ?


CHEAP  ART

          I cut a bit of my old bath towel and pasted it on a board along with a bit of waste blue cloth. Then I cut two bits of waste packing material and pasted on to it. And I added a few broomstick pieces and some packing threads. I finished it off with a couple of paper bits cut to look like birds in the sky. No paint tubes, no brushes, no expenditure -- cheap art indeed !
         I created this "art piece" just to show that something interesting can be made out of unconventional materials.








MY  MEANINGLESS  ART

         Many of you might have seen this picture in my consultation chamber. While I was painting a background for a conventional oil painting on this board I found a waste bit of curtain cloth on the floor. I picked it up, cut it into pieces at random and pasted them at the bottom of the board. They may look like waves or fishes or sand dunes or hills depending on the viewer's imagination. Then I added a few random strokes of dark brown paint which may look like some human figures. The one on the right side of the palm impression may look like that of one person or it may look like that of two persons -- a lady and a gent in 'side pose'.
          Later I went into our kitchen, after midnight (my free time), and brought some pieces of garlic, cashew, almond, pista and coconut fibre. I pasted them here and there on the board. The garlic, cashew and almond pieces may look like flying birds in the sky. Finally, I smeared my left palm with dark brown paint and made a palm (hand) impression on the  board !
          Does this picture make any sense ? Modern art or meaningless art ?
Any art would serve its purpose if it evokes an aesthetic response in the beholder. Otherwise it is useless and meaningless.









MY  MEANINGFUL  ART

          Shri Krishna Kumar Kandalam has made a very relevant comment on art (vide my post titled "My Meaningless Art" - Nov 4 -- on FACEBOOK). I appreciate his forthright opinion that a good art should be understandable and enjoyable by a common man without being couched in mystery. Then only it would linger in his mind for a long time. Modern art may be like a meteor making a sensation for a moment and vanish for ever later. It is pleasant to note that the deep river of tradition has not dried up. But these days, the modern and the traditional jostle for space. A kaliyuga phenomenon -- for more on this go to --http://wordsmithofbengal.wordpress.com/…/google-effect-and…/ .

         I am attaching a traditional type of picture which I painted long ago. Perhaps, this is one of my meaningful art pieces !






MODERN  ART

         Artistic works produced during the period extending from the 1860s to the 1970s which denote the style and philosophy of the art produced during that era is recognised as Modern Art. It is usually associated with art in which the traditions of the past have been thrown aside in a spirit of experimentation. Modern artists experimented with different ways of viewing and with non-conventional ideas involving new materials and functions of art. A tendency away from the narrative, which was characteristic of the traditional arts, towards abstraction is characteristic of most of Modern Art. More recent artistic production is often called Contemporary Art or Postmodern Art.
         The following picture which I painted some time ago borders more on to Meaningless Art, not Modern Art. Whatever it is, I like it, perhaps because I did it.
.







CLEAN INDIA  /  CLEAN HOME

         The ongoing 'Clean India Campaign' by the Prime Minister brought many VIPs on to the streets to rid the country of litter and rubbish. Let us hope that the initiative would yield the desired results through 'private-public partnership'.

         We initiated "Operation Clean Home" long ago. One year passed; 2 years passed; 3 years passed. Yet our home remains littered with objects of every description in such a disorganised fashion that it makes a good subject for surrealistic art ! Alas, In the process of getting rid of the rubbish,  many of my manuscripts, prize-winning photographs and paintings found their way into garbage bins. The painting you see below (which I painted decades ago) some how escaped the route into oblivion.




ACCIDENTAL ART ... 16.10.2017
It is not planned ... it just happened this evening. An apple was just half-eaten that way by a  playful child. The leftover piece looked interesting to me ... I went into the kitchen ... fetched an onion ... stuck 2 pepper seeds ... made a small cut and pushed 2 small garlic pieces ... placed the 'onion head' on the top of the half-eaten apple ... took a snapshot and posted it on this Timeline (Facebook)! This 'accidental art piece' is created by a grand daughter and her grandfather. No trophies for those who guessed right who they are !!! 




Image may contain: food
No photo description available.


CHOCOLATE  FRIENDS

          A simple idea.  I just attached two strips of paper to represent two arms and kept a red chilli underneath.  It may look like two men chatting on their way over a bridge !!!  Simple, anyone can make it.

       THIS  IS  AN  ABRIDGED  FORM  OF  MY  SCRIBBLING.        THE  FULL  FORMAT WILL BE POSTED LATER.     --  T. Rama Prasad

1 comment:

  1. Dear Resected Doctor Sir
    Your paintings are very beautiful and lively.

    My daughter JP.Vasundhra,11 yes old, yesterday meet you and she is very very like your arts and paintings.

    Palanisamy R
    Divisional Manager
    Star Health Insurance
    Perundurai.

    ReplyDelete